Saturday 19 March 2016

Flin Flon day 2



My morning, unlike Mhari's, did not begin with a friendly pug. My morning actually started later than I had intended, but not so late that I missed the fantastic pancake breakfast (of which I may or may not have eaten too much). Then we entered a magical room, filled with forms and huge bins with colours of waxes I didn't know existed.
Our drill session ended in a nice long ski out to a cabin where we roasted hotdogs over a fire, and I was shocked to find out that most of my fellow winnipeggers had never roasted wieners before. After our ski I had a great time laughing at Erik as we lay side by side with Chris summoning his inner yogi and encouraging Erik because "that's really all you can do?" Unfortunately he, along with the help of Torin and Levi, got me back shortly afterwards. Exhausted from our day, I lay down on the floor to rest. My 'rest', however, didn't last long as I was quickly and rudely aroused as Torin and Levi decided to use my back as a foot rest (while in their ski boots, I might add) and Erik poured water on me. I am still planning my revenge.

Next up on the agenda was hockey on skis, yet another game that our Flin flon friends had never played.
It was a spirited game full of interesting half-time (clearly Chris doesn't know hockey), and over time competitions.

The time between our game of hockey and supper proved to be rather a bothersome one for me, as I suddenly found myself the target of, well, everyone. Dennis, one of the dads, decided to throw a foam ball at my head. Levi Torin and Erik (what is it with those three?!) thought this was hilarious, and joined in on the fun. As did, unfortunately, some other team members. So suddenly I was trapped in the middle of a game of dodgeball where I was the only target. I was also treated to incessant poking - thanks Levi. Once we moved outside the foam balls turned to snow, and I quickly found myself covered and quite wet.

Soon enough after supper and a quick ski of the race course, we started our game of man hunt. Erik and I found the perfect spot in the middle of a hill. If someone came from the bottom we would easily beat them to the top and continue down the trail, or someone coming from the top had no chance at catching us down that hill. We ended up getting split up eventually, with me getting caught by Mhari and Erik managing to avoid everyone.

Back inside the clubhouse the game of throw things at Emily continued, and I was even denied the snack, though I did go back later when Dennis wasn't looking. It was with a huge relief that my billet family said time to go, and I was off the hook for the night.

I would love to be able to tell you how many km we skied, and how many hours it was but all the info I can give you is that I am sore and exhausted after another great day on beautiful trails with new friends. That's about all the steam I got left for tonight, so goodnight world!

-Emily
                                           Roasting hot dogs around the fire on the trail 

No comments:

Post a Comment